We want to make sure our guidelines are as clear as possible around what should and shouldn't be presented on graphical assets, so we've added some rules here that go into effect Sept 1, 2022 and clarified some existing rules.
You can read the full text of our announcement here: https://store.steampowered.com/news/group/4145017/view/6232436041608114694
Store Graphical Asset Rules NEW!
Store graphical assets are the banner images (called 'Capsules' in Steamworks) that represent your game throughout the store. You can find detailed specifications and templates in our Store Graphical Assets documentation
- Content on base graphical asset capsules on Steam is limited to game artwork, the game name, and any official subtitle. For clarity, this means:
- No review scores of any kind, including Steam reviews or external news sources
- No award names, symbols, or logos
- No discount marketing copy (eg. no "On Sale Now" or "Up to 90% off" text)
- No text or imagery promoting a different product. This includes no marketing of sequels or other titles in the same franchise.
- No other miscellaneous text.
- We understand that partners are excited to talk about large updates and seasonal events, and customers are often excited to see these reflected in the game capsules. While this content is not allowed in base capsule assets (see rule #1 above), we do support this use case through Capsule Artwork Overrides with the following constraints:
- Must use Artwork Overrides - When including text on a graphical asset, this MUST be uploaded as an Artwork Override with a length limit of one month.
- Must localize any text - Any text included on a graphical asset MUST be localized into at least the same set of languages supported by the game.
- Only to describe new content - The only acceptable additional text on a game capsule is words describing a major update to the game content, a new seasonal event, battle pass, DLC, or similar new content for the game.
Library Graphical Asset Rules
Library graphical assets are the set of images that represent your game within the Steam library. These are comprised of a vertical capsule, a hero image and a logo. You can find detailed specifications and templates in our Library Assets documentation
. Each of these assets has slightly different content and uses:
- Library Capsule - this image must include your game logo. It can also include your game's subtitle if appropriate. No other text should be present on this capsule.
- Library Hero - this image should only contain artwork. There should be no words at all in this asset.
- Library Logo - this image is only your game's logo on a transparent background. There should be no other words in this asset.
General Graphical Asset Rules
In addition to the above specific rules, all capsules everywhere on Steam must adhere to these basic rules:
- Capsule images must contain a readable product logo/name and have accurate dimensions.
- All capsule images (store and library) must have PG-13 appropriate artwork.
What is appropriate use of text on store capsules? Tastefully promoting your recent update or new content is okay on store capsules, as long as you use a Temporary Artwork Override to do so and localize the text into languages supported by your game. See rules above for details.
Store Page Accolades
We understand that developers want to communicate with their players about the quality of their games, and Steam already has spaces on game store pages to present most of this information. Press review quotes, press review scores, and special awards each have dedicated spaces on Steam store pages where it can be presented consistently and where customers can expect to find that information. You can check out our Store Page Accolades documentation
Rules Effective Sept 1, 2022
As a reminder, these new rules go into effect Sept 1, 2022
and we ask that all game developers review their graphical assets and make any changes to bring them inline with these new rules.
You can review your set of graphical assets by visiting 'edit store' for your game and click the 'graphical assets' tab. Note: check if you have any active Artwork Overrides
, as you may need to update those as well.
Any game not adhering to these rules may have limits to visibility within the Steam store and will be ineligible for featuring in official Steam sales and events.