This section describes the general workflow and settings necessary for releasing your application on additional operating systems.
Steam provides support for Windows, macOS, and Linux (SteamOS).
You can see platform usage stats from the Steam Hardware Survey
to help you make decisions on what platforms you are going to want to support.
Steam officially support for Windows XP SP2 and above in both 32bit and 64bit modes.
Visit the Steamworks Development Discussions - Windows
Steam officially supports Intel Mac, OS X version 10.7 (Lion), or later.
Search for macOS specific documentation
or visit the Steamworks Development Discussions - macOS
if you want additional help with macOS.
Linux & SteamOS
Steam only officially supports Ubuntu
running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or newer and SteamOS, but the Steam for Linux
community is extremely resourceful and has managed to run Steam on a large variety of distros. Valve approves of these efforts but does not officially endorse or provide support for them. Steam on Linux supports both x86 and x64, it's highly recommended that you ship 64 bit binaries as the vast majority of users will be running that.
The Steam for Linux Client
Github page is very active and contains the bug tracker for the Linux Steam Client.
See Developing for SteamOS and Linux
for additional information on getting started.
Search for Linux & SteamOS specific documentation
or visit the Steamworks Development Discussions - Linux & SteamOS
if you want additional help with Linux and SteamOS.
Steamworks Video Tutorial - Adding New Platforms and Languages
This tutorial walks you through adding new platforms and languages to your game by adding additional depots
to your app.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShS32hcing
Building and Testing
For general help with building depots and preparing content, please see Uploading to Steam
- In the Steamworks Settings for your application, create depots for the new operating systems in the Creating & Adding Depots section (under the "SteamPipe" tab>Depots).
Save this change.
NOTE: Don't check the boxes under Supported Operating Systems on the General Application Settings tab yet, that will be done when you're ready to release.
- Create a Steam build for these new depots.
- Set that build to a beta branch with a password.
- Update your autogrant package to contain these new depots so Steam will let you download the files. You can find your autogrant package by on the Associated Packages & DLC page.
- Test the new versions on whatever operating system you are targeting.
When you are ready to release, you will need to make sure that you add the necessary depots to any public packages and update your store page to reflect the new content available.
- Add the new depots to all existing packages of the game (so users will get them). You can see all packages associated with your application on the Associated Packages & DLC page.
- In the Steamworks Settings for your app, check the appropriate operating system boxes under Supported Operating Systems.
- Edit your store page and check the appropriate operating system boxes on the Basic Info tab.
- Then scroll down and enter the corresponding system requirements. Preview your store page and then publish your changes when you're happy with how the system requirements appear.
- Finally, return to your Steamworks Settings page and move the build to the Default branch. (Under the SteamPipe tab > Depots)
- Head over to the Steam Community Hub for your application and post an announcement to let existing and prospective customers know you've updated!